Hello all, today was a pretty eventful day for me. Tts becos today was...
TMS SEC4/2 BBQ DEC 2003!! Woohoo...*clap clap*
Part 1: Chicken! Chicken! Chicken!
Well, today I was put in charge of an impt job, which was to marinate 6 kg of raw chicken! Tts cos our usual marinated chicken supplier, Hafiiz, had abandoned us for choir practice. They're doing some pretty intensive singing. I think MJ's having a choir concert on the 29 dec.
Anyways, it was pretty interesting stuff. I had to buy the chicken n marinate it on the day itself, so tt it wld be fresh. In other words, I had to drag 6 kg of chicken, frozen block solid onto the MRT to get to Rez's house in Tampines. His was the only house available wif a halal kitchen nearby for me to utilise. I also bought a packet of curry n chilli powder each.
Now, u must be thinking? Y didnt I buy in Tampines itself. Well, the answer is tt the NTUC there is usually crowded, so I was afraid there wldnt be any frozen chicken left.
Soon I was running ard Tampines NTUC, wif Rez, my personal assistant. After buying all of our ingredients, we headed for his house. There, my challenge began.
Firstly, I had to empty all the chicken wings from the 3 packets into the bowl. NOT an easy feat when the chicken wings were frozen into 3 solid blocks. Instead of 3 soft thumps, it was more like 3 bricks falling. I was terrified the plastic basin wld break or smth.
Then, I had to seperate the chicken wings. Ugh! It was slimy, n there were bits of chicken fat. Gross! I ran it under water to melt some of the ice n thaw out everything. When all else failed, I followed Rez's suggestion, n used a knife.
So, after peaking a weak spot btw 2 fused chicken wings, I swung the blade downwards wif a mighty thrust.
Crack. The blade got stuck upright in the block, n some of the raw chicken wings were beginning to bleed. o_0
This was going to be a long day...
What followed was the long, arduous task of seperating the chicken wings by hand, thawing them under running water. My hand were now oily n covered wif some blood. I was struggling, much to Rez's amusement. "Ur class...", he drawled when I screamed at him to get his lazy ass over and help. Instead, he was smiling away, watching my suffering n munching M&Ms.
Which I paid for. Damn him, he hasn't paid me back.
Once done wif tt, I went on to prepare the marinate. Squinting at the recipe I had scrawled down on the phone wif Hafiiz, I grabbed bottles, emptied packets, chopped ingredients n other stuff into a large plastic bowl. I even had to open the bottle-cap of the oyster sauce bottle wif a knife. Pop! It flew off wif a quick twist of the knife blade into the wall. Like a cork outta champagne bottle.
The powdery marinate was soon turning a dangerous brown colour. I kinda expected it to spew green smoke or smth. I thought of my classmates n hoped they wld eat this n live.
Finally, once I was satisfied wif the colour, texture n the fact tt it was edible, I took the chickens, 2 to 3 at a time, n dipped them into the large pot. I was used to the clammy chicken wings by now, n didnt even flinch. I did as I was told by the master chef himself, n massaged the chicken. Haha.:)
This time, Rez brought in Firdawee, his friend. He was surprised when he saw me, as I said hello n waved cheerily wif a powder-coated hand. Later on, he came into the kitchen wif Rez to meet me formally. Rez said,
"See, TJ one leh. See, the specs, the hair..."
Haha Rez, treat me like a rare animal on display. Very funny. As I toiled over the chicken, up to my wrists in brown powder, sweat plastering my face n dressed in my grubby T-shirt n shorts, I looked anything but a TJcian. I believe our natural habitats r the labs, library, lecture halls n classrooms of our sch, not the kitchen. However, we r adaptable creatures.
Finally, after cursing, sweating n dropping some wings on the floor, I packed the wings into 2 plastic bags. Bidding Rez gdbye, I left on a taxi for East Coast Park.
Part 2: The BBQ
I arrived at pit 38, Cel, Thien Fui, Clarice helping me carry the chicken n showing me the way. There were already a few ppl there. Hong Tat, Manfred, Jingbao, Melinda, Wendy n Jolene.
They started bbqing the min I arrived wif the chicken, at ard 5.30pm. They already had a fire going, n Manfred n Hong Tat, being men, took it upon their manly selves to bbq the food. Us gals just sat ard, chatting, n enjoying the sea breeze.
After tt, Farhan, Xue Yu n Marlyna (Mao) arrived. Me, Mao, Thien Fui, Clarice n Cel then headed for the beach to take photos n drown, as they put it. We had a pretty prime location, right in front of the beach wif a wonderful view of the ocean.
In the distance to our right, the sun set over the buildings of the CBD. It was a fiery orange, a beautiful sunset. Like a gift from God. We goofed abt a lot, got wet, chased each other n played wif the seawater. We also took a crazy beach photo at the tideline, squealing as the waves broke over our ankles.
Then, we headed back n continued to eat our food. It was nice to eat, chat n joke. Then some cats came for a visit n me n mao lead 1 away. Some of the gals dun like cats. I think they're adorable. ^_^
Soon, darkness fell, n all the ships' lights glittered in the darkness in the distance. We took some more photos, then I left.
Geez... Sure was fun.
Too bad I can't attend the CG22/03 bbq, I'll be on my way home from overseas.
Then I can write a lovely blog entry for tt too.
No comments:
Post a Comment