Thursday, December 11, 2003

Hi all, today I achieved smth in my otherwise monotonous life.

Today, I strapped on a pair of rollerblades! Woohoo... *victory sign*

It had started out as a crazy idea really, I mean I cant cycle so what the hell makes me think I can skate? But then Rez knew how n since i wanted to learn smth new during the holidays, I gave it a shot.

Earlier on, I had to return to sch to have my maths remedial wif Mrs Goh. She's still as cute n bubbly as ever, in her kawaii red winnie-the-pooh t-shirt too. She told me, Tobias n a gal called Emily not to study too hard. She even asked us to go watch "Lord of The Rings". She's a major fan, I think. Haha. :)

So anywayz after tt I met Rez n changed into a shirt n shorts. We had lunch then rented a pair of rollerblades each. Soon, I found myself pulling on my wrist-guards n knee-guards. Then, putting one tentative step forward, I decided to stand upright on the grass(which had more friction) n then skate on the pathway. Along the way, I kept thinking to myself.

"Ok Ren, cool. Take ur time. Tts right. Ooh, tt was close. All right, I did it! Im on the road, Im skating. Yeeeessssss-aaaahhhh!"

Wham! Fell on my knees, sprawling on the ground. Then, I tried to get up the normal way, but I forgot I had skates on. Whoosh! On the grd again. Rez, idiot, laughing at me. Finally, I had to steady myself on my hands, my butt in mid-air. A rather unflattering position wif so many passers-by. Pai-SEH leh! Slowly, I straightened up, n dived for the grass where I cld stand easier.

Aiyoh.

So I decided to wait for Rez to finish putting up his skates. Then, we left our footwear under the bench n began skating. Rez was a little rusty, he isnt really an expert, but he had been perfecting the skill wif his uncle n cousins. He was also skating at a snail's pace, but his rhythm was smooth n he was soon skating. I, on the other hand, cldnt shake off the habit of walking. I was half-walking, half-rolling n screaming all the way.

Then, we came to a bump. Rez suggested walking ard it on the grass, but I was determined to skate properly. I half-rolled, half walked up the bump.

Unfortunately, I began rolling down backwards. My face probably looked like this -_-''. Determined to scale this mini-Mount Everest, I scrabbled somewhat frantically. My legs shot out from beneath me, n I landed on my butt! Yowch!

In front of some guys, who were very amused at my little escapade. I relented n walked on the grass.

Later on, I fell on my butt again n again. All in all, today I had probably fallen ard 10 times. My bum is quite numb now. I cant feel my chair. All the time, Rez was singing the Kylie Minogue song, "Slow".

"Come on n rock wif my body. Yeh... Slow..." Of course, meaning I shld take it slow.

I retorted wif Britney Spears "Me Against the Music", which probably subconsciously meant tt I was determined to train my blading whatever the odds. So I continued, fell, picked myself up, n skated some more. Slow n steady. There were some boys on bikes who were watching us when we approached this tiled central area. I fell first, then Rez, failing to break, fell down a short distance away. We were all moaning in pain n heading for the grass. Before I reached it, just at the edge of the concrete, I fell on my butt. Again! Ai-yo-yo.

However, Rez proved to be the highlight of the day.

After the tiled area, we approached this gently sloping area. Rez warned me tt slopes were tricky, n implored me to walk on the grass. However, I was game. I set my sights for the bottom n just pushed off gently.

Gravity took over. I rolled down, picking up speed. I reached the bottom, laughing in triumph, careful to keep my balance. Turning to Rez, who saw tt it was quite safe, he pushed off n did the same.

However, Rez's skates were at a wrong angle. Halfway down, he found himself moving towards the side of the pathway, which was flanked by wooded areas cos of the nearby mangrove swamp. He discovered his mistake, but it was too late.

There was nothing the poor guy cld do. His arms were stretched out sideways like a ridiculous-looking seagull, n he started screaming.

" Ohhh ahhh oooOOOHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!! "

Meanwhile, I was yelling.

" Rez, nooo, watch out! Noooo AHHHHH!!"

Crash! Amid the sounds of thrashing underbrush n crackling twigs, poor Rez was on the grd, dead leaves fluttering down ard him.

I tried to help, I really did. I struggled to keep my balance n skate towards him.

But I was laughing too damn hard.:D

Rez hurriedly picked himself up, dusting off twigs n bits of dead leaves. Then, as he was skating towards me, he yelped n started to brush himself off vigorously. I hurriedly brushed a red ant off his back, giggling away.

After tt, we continued skating. I giggled some more, n Rez asked me to shut up. It was sooo damn funny man.

Well, after tt episode, we decided to rest awhile, then turned ard to skate back as our 1 hr was up. Rez skated all the way, whereas I took off my skates (my feet were sore) n walked after him in my socks. My socks were black after tt. :P

So we returned the skates. However, I discovered tt I had lost one sock when I took them off to put on my shoes. We had to turn ard n retrace our steps. The best thing abt socks is tt nobody ever dreams of taking them. I found them lying on the footpath, then picked it up n waved it in my hand like a flag of triumph.

Well, what can I say. Today turned out all right. Oh yeah, n one more thing...

Im thinking of going skating again.

No comments: