Yipee! Been wanting to watch it for a long time since I saw the trailer at the beginning of the year. Went wif Rez and Cel early in the morning to watch the 10am show at Tampines Mall. I, as usual, ended up the earliest, though it was Cel's idea to meet at 9.15am to buy tickets. She expected a large crowd of ppl, but later while we were standing there the cinema wasnt even open yet! I ended up wandering by myself around the darkened mall (yes, it was so early they hadnt even turned on the lights yet), witnessed the opening of Metro at Century Square next door, and strolled ard NTUC, lingering about the live seafood section where a particularly large eel bobbed its head at me. (Eeee...scary, I cldnt see any eyes on that creature.)
So, it's movie review time *smiles maniacally*. Muahahaha...
Well, as u guys all know, Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) was a character from the book "Dracula", and in this movie has been "remade" into this guy who's some sort of slayer of evil creatures (yes ur usual ghouls and monsters and other freaky things tt go bump in the night). He takes orders from Vatican City in Rome, and is employed by some secret order which aims to protect all of humanity form evil (it's so cute to see Tibetan monks working alongside Vatican friars, dun u think.) His latest misson is to, u guessed it, go to Transylvania to slay za hooorrible Drrraaacula, helping an ancient family who has been trying to kill the guy for centuries. Enter Anna (Kate Beckinsale), the beautiful daughter of the family, looking great in breeches and silhetto boots. Together, they try to vanquish the plague of vampires tt have descended over her village.
Best thing about this movie is, it's jam-packed wif monsters! U got ur Dracula, his 3 wives (which remind me of harpies from tt Greek story "Ulysseus" in vampire form), the wolfman, Doctor Jekyll (or shld I say Mr Hyde) and Frankenstein. The action is great, though some sequences are a little too far-fetched and coincidental to happen in reality. The CGI effects are splendid too! Especially the werewolf transformation parts. However, the plot needs improvement as it tends to lag in certain places and doesnt show much linkage between the action sequences. The characters are a little 2-dimensional and some of their lines are lame. Also, Anna doesnt do much fighting, only wif one of the wives of Dracula. All she does is run, scream "Run for cover!", or get in the way when Hugh Jackman tries to kill something. Aiyoh, can we have some guuurrrlll power please. U give her a pretty sword and she never gets to use it!
I dun know about u, but it's really not as gory as it shld be. I mean, when u rip out someone's throat or cut off someone's arm, blood should be gushing out right? But I hardly see any direct blood flow in this movie. Maybe cos of the kids watching. Yah, so I guess on second thought it's not tt bad after all.
So, the movie cld be better, if there was less emphasis on action and monsters and more on storyline. I sure wish someone wld make a REALLY good monster movie for once. "Underworld" sucked. "American Werewolf in Paris" didnt get really rave reviews either. At least "Interview With the Vampire" was good. One disaster averted.
Anyway, my fave monster from the movie (unlike Cel who likes all vampire or pale men in general wif fangs), is...
The wolfman! Owoooo...
No comments:
Post a Comment