Thursday, September 09, 2004

Today I had my chem practical.

Well, I wldnt say it was all bad, or mebbe Im just used to Murphy's Law operating during my pracs. Haha. U know, the famous saying: Everything tt can go wrong will go wrong.

It started out all right. I was keeping up a pretty good pace, doing my titrations and keeping in sync wif everyone else. Generally using the ppl ard me as a gauge as to whether I was proceeding at the right speed. I was quite satisfied wif my titrations. Then, disaster struck.

2 words, "Question 2".

It generally involved adding thiosulphate to potassium iodide and liberating iodine. Then, adding starch and timing how long the blue colour wld form. There was this teensy problem tt the teachers overlooked.

There was NO FREAKING BLUE COLOUR!.And even if there was, how the hell do u expect us to see it in a dark brown solution! Use ur brain, use ur brain... Or do the setters even have a brain?

Honestly. I was peering, squinting, and scratching my head. Trying to fathom how in the world I was going to do this. At first I thought tt I had done smth wrong, so I did it 2 more times.

Same results. A murky brown solution. There did seem to be a bluish tinge, but it wasnt clear enough to decide tt the reaction was complete.

I crossed my fingers, prayed a little, then took the plunge. I faked my results. Well, to a certain extent anyway. Had no choice. It was a question of survival.

Survive I did, but it didnt work out quite so well. Murphy's Law struck. As if guessing grossly inaccurate results wasnt enough, in my haste to perform 2 more readings, I knocked over a measuring cylinder.

*piang* Oh #@*% !

I ducked onto the floor, gingerly picking up pieces of measuring cylinder. Luckily Mrs Lokman was really nice and helped me to sweep up the broken pieces of glass. Then, she got me another one.

Apparently I had spilled some reagents on the table-top. Cos when I faced my worksheet after doing another reading, the edges were soaked and began to turn a lovely shade of dark brown. Great. I thought it was alright, tt a dab wif my cloth wld do the trick, so I lifted it up. Now I realised tt the damage was even worse underneath.

My piece of fullscap was soaked wif colourless reagent and water. The QA worksheet on top had a huge blob of brown on the upper left hand corner, wif a diameter 3 to 4 fingerspaces long. And finally, my tiration and current question's question paper had a brown border on the left side wif a funny dark blue blob on the right side.

I took my already dirty cloth and desperately tried to dry everything up. My dirty cloth made things, well, marginally better. I threw my cloth carelessly to one side, then tried to move all the glassware to a corner. My cloth landed on my brown and blue question paper. Some of the wet reagents from my now brown cloth soaked onto the white part in the middle. I moved it off, sort of lifting one clean corner and sliding the cloth off.

I created a LIGHT PURPLE stripe straight across my question paper. From the upper left hand corner to the lower right hand side. Sob sob sob... So colourful. Sob sob sob...:P

Ah well, so my prac paper looks like a abstract art. Big deal. I continued onwards.

But Murphy's Law had done it's damage. I didnt finish my prac.

But it was an experience, or shld I say, blunder of a lifetime.



No comments: