Sunday, March 27, 2005

It's like some great conspiracy that's going on out there.

To make single people feel bad.

Last Good Friday I went out to Bugis Junction and the Bugis Village area across the road. It was a holiday, so naturally there were lots of people and the place was crowded.

However, as I was walking around, I noticed a rather disturbing trend.

The place was chock-full of couples. Seriously, I had no idea that Bugis Junction and Village was a grand place to show off your significant others. But such was the case. It was like some great big Noah's Ark, with the, er, people going about two by two.

I counted couples everywhere. Whether they were walking contentedly, arm in arm, or one dragging the other, usually the girls dragging the guys, kicking and screaming, into the shopping areas of no return.

Even when I sat down at Mos Burger to have dinner, the place was crowded, mostly with couples! It was so damn cramped with love-birds that me and my parents were forced to sit outside al-fresco style. And again, across from my line of vision was a couple. The girl was talking animatedly, and the guy, well, just hanging in there. Either he was waiting for her to finish, or he was tranfixed by her beauty, cos he gave no sign of being conscious until she finished talking and went to get something. Only then did he flex his shoulders and sit back to relax, as if he had just endured some physical punishment.

Haha. Aural punishment, no doubt.

Anyway, feeling totally out of place becos of my singlehood, I was happy to leave. Not that I mind being single, but I'm not desperate to have a bf. Though having one would be nice. As one friend puts it, who wants to be alone anyway. Being 19 and all, my ah bu is already nagging that she wants me to drag some poor sap home to show her. My Dad says that I shouldn't settle on one, but should flirt around to pick and choose.

Sigh. Parents. Reality is that I am an absolute wallflower and a stay-at-home person, though most of the time not by choice. Unless one falls from the sky and plunks onto my lap, it's highly unlikely I'll ever get one.

Anyway, since I am on the topic of couples, I might as well list some things that certain couples do which I find nauseating. I'm sure many people out there would share the same sentiments as me, whether they are sensible and attached people who don't do these things, or singles like me.

1)Couples which can't keep their hands of each other.

These strike at anytime, and anyplace. One minute you're enjoying a nice peaceful ride on the mrt, the next something short of a porn movie. They hug, kiss, grope and whisper sweet nothings in plain sight and hearing of everyone on the train. I had an experience once, this guy who kept hugging and touching his gf despite the fact that she was telling him not to. It made my skin crawl, and since they were near the only available pole, I had no choice but to stand there and stifle a scream.

Please, if you want to make out, then go find a bush somewhere private. Oh yes, and keep the babies legitimate too.

2)Attention-seeking bfs and gfs

These mates are of the high-maintenance kind who like to kick up a fuss whenever they feel they have been mistreated in even the smallest way, or they are totally self-absorbed. I dun know about anyone out there, but I've seen for myself countless times when either the guy or the girl talks non-stop while the poor gf or bf is forced to listen. They just don't know when to shut up and can't sense that it's very trying for the other party to continuosly listen to them. After all, a relationship is a two-way road, right? Surely they would know this by now.

3) Cocky and possessive gfs and bfs

These girls or guys often cling to their mates possessively instead of simply holding hands. Or, sensing that their mates are like some sort of insurance policy, they act cocky among others or ignore their friends the minute they have a relationship. I haven't encountered these types personally, but the stories I've heard are proof enough. Some even restrict the lives of their mates in some way, claiming these are ways to maintain their relationship.

Bullshit. If you don't have any confidence in your guy or girl, then why bother starting a relationship in the first place. Besides, friends should always come first. Hee hee. *hears cheering*

Anyway, whether you're single or attached, it doesn't matter. As long as you stay true to yourself and speak your mind, you can still be the happy person that you can be.

No comments: