Okay, shall use this chance to promote "Hellsing". Hahaha... I knew about it only after watching more or less the whole series on Arts Central. It is only about 13 episodes long so I guess it's one of the shortest anime in history! It was created by Kouta Hirano.

Hellsing refers to Hellsing Organization, a secret Undead Eradication Unit sworn to protect Britain and the Queen. It was formed many generations ago by Abraham Van Hellsing, the vampire slayer from "Dracula". I know its supposed to be spelled as "Helsing" but unfortunately thats the official name for the series.
The manga/anime is kind of like Interview With a Vampire meets Resident Evil. The irony of Hellsing is that though its mission is to kill all Undead, one of its top operatives, Alucard, is a vampire himself. However, his powers are bound by seals and he is forced to serve every single Hellsing down the line. The series takes place in present-day Britain, with the current leader being Sir Integral Wingates Hellsing, the descendant of Abraham Van Hellsing. She inherited the title of Hellsing Director from her father when he died, and she was the one who had freed Alucard to save herself from a murderous uncle.
However, the current adversary that Hellsing faces is vastly different from the past. A new breed of vampires is on the rise, normal humans who become vampires through the implantaion of a FREAK chip in the willing person's neck. They have the same red eyes, fangs, superhuman strength and urge for blood as the original vampires. Part of the reason Alucard is willing to kill these vampires is that he does not think them as worthy, as they are no more than imitations of the real vampires. However, he has other reasons as well. It is not revealed what actually goes through the 500 year-old vampire's mind.
Another major character is Seras Victoria, a former police girl turned into a vampire by Alucard. He had to shoot through her to kill the vampire that was holding her hostage. She denies her vampire nature at first by not willing to drink blood, trying to cling onto whatever humanity she has left. She joins Hellsing and slowly accepts what she has become.
And so the story goes on. The anime I watched was based on only the first 2 volumes of 7 so far. It is still ongoing and the Jap Version is printed by "Young King Ours" while the Eng version by "Dark Horse" comics. I wonder if Kino stocks it. I've looked in Comics Connection but I can't find it.
I like it cos it has complex characters and dark themes. The characters are all adults and there are no cute schoolgirls in sight. But then again, its set in Britain. The anime is more serious than the manga, which is quite funny at times. In the manga every character has a chance at getting chibified. I got a glimpse of some really ridiculous scenes over the Internet. Laugh until stomach ache.
Ah well, we'll see how far my obssession goes. Haha. It might just be my first manga collection.
No comments:
Post a Comment