Friday, August 19, 2005

Today I went for my Blurt! Meeting, also what the seniors call "Fresh Meet 2005". Yes it does sound like "fresh meat" and they did it on purpose! Our invitation email consisted of pictures of butchers surrounded by sausages and animal body parts.

Blurt! refers to a quarterly SMU publication that Ive decided to join as one of my CCAs. Ive never had any prior experience of joining a publication team before, so I decided to give it a go.

So at 10 plus in the morning, I found myself walking towards SMU. I got off at City Hall MRT, took the elevator up to the ground level, walked through Raffles City, and out through one of its many exits. Then I crossed over to Chijmes, whereupon I found myself in a bit of a dilemma.

For up ahead, what once was a pathway was now blocked off for construction. As a result, I had to walk along the road practically on the double yellow line, which was only inches away from passing vehicles. Kinda dangerous, but I had no choice.

I finally managed to make it safely there. Went to the classroom in the Accountancy Block, signed in, then sat down. Met some new people like Alicia from Accountancy, Joyce and Karen from Business etc. Karen and I exchanged email accounts so tt I could send her "Untitled" by Simple Plan via MSN. She's really into music, this one is.

Then the meeting began, which was something like an Orientation cum General Meeting where we played some games and were introduced to the various sectors of Blurt! We had Canadian Pizza too! Wow. Though I didnt eat cos it was too early in the morning.

At the end of it all, me and Alicia were psychoed by Karen to join the Marketing Team. Its the most challenging of the 3, the others being Editorial and Creative Design. Our job is to email or call up corporations to get them to advertise in our magazine. Apparently Blurt! wants to become self-funded instead of relying on contributions from SMU. I was so surprised to see Peiying from TJ sitting across the table from me.

I later joined her for lunch cos Alicia and Karen had to leave first. We had Subway, which I miss a lot. Reminded me of the good ol' days in TJ when I used to eat it on Wednesdays during Contact Time.

Ah... sweet memories.

No comments: