Nothing like a slow-paced, idyllic kampung-like lifestyle unpunctuated by hectic deadlines and irritating group mates.
Nice, slow, soothing...
I seriously need some R and R, since surviving periods of having no sleep for 2 to 3 days straight, or staying up to un-goldly hours of early morning.
Of course I do go out from time to time, like today. I went to my mum's friend's house in Bishan, and once again, played around with the pet parrot.
I think I mentioned her in an earlier post. Her name is Pete, though she's obviously female cos she lays eggs. She was a little touchy today, cos well, she had eggs to guard.

Eggsies! Woot!
Touchy meaning that every time I approached the cage to take a closer look at her nest, she would rush at me, beak snapping and feathers fluffed. Her eggs won't hatch though, they're not fertilized. She usually lays 3 to 4 eggs a month, though this month it's 6.

Attentive mummy.
That's her nest. Now look at that. Haha. The base of the nest is made up of a box with a hole cut out, so she perches inside. The base of the box where she sits in is lined with paper mache made by chewing and spitting out bits of paper. As for the colourful strips, they are made by her too. Every time she leaves the cage for food or water or play, she'll seek out anything made of paper and tear off strips with her beak. Then she'll tuck the strips under her wings to carry them back to line the nest.

Pete's masterpiece.
Cute. However, the eggs have to be removed, cos in this state she doesn't eat or drink much. She just sits in her nest all day, waiting for her eggs to hatch.
And they never will. Sigh... Giving her a mate might be the solution, but then she'll ignore people or have babies which have no where to go.
It's sad to be a pet sometimes, isn't it.
No comments:
Post a Comment