It's funny how you realize so quickly when a meeting is a complete waste of time.
Today, I returned to SMU to have a CCA meeting. I hardly expected to get a word in, since my suggestions usually go unheard, or my brain becomes so lethargic that I can't form coherent thought. It's dead obvious that its a certain group of people who make the final decisions, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Ever since this new team took over from the seniors, things have certainly changed.
And the worst part is, even after 2 whole hours of planting my ass on the seat, they still weren't able to come up with a theme for the next issue due in August. Talk about inefficiency.
I've started to notice a pattern in how the meetings go. Usually they are:
1) De-facto guy-in-charge comes up with theme.
2) The rest chew on it.
Up to this point, everything is perfectly fine. I mean, that should be the logical sequence of events, right? Then comes this:
3) More chewing.
4) Even more chewing.
At this point, I start to blank out. They go on discussing the subtleties of why this theme is or is not suitable. I mean people, can we move on here. There's no point spending a whole half an hour (yes!) just discussing the possibility of ONE theme. If it's good, stick with it. Not, throw it out the window. Don't waste time!
Then comes this:
5) Guys get bored, crack dirty/video game/insider (of which I am not a part and I don't understand) joke.
6) Rest add on to joke for the next 5 to 10 mins.
7) Topics vere completely off tangent from the main discussion for the next 10 to 15 mins.
Gosh what should I have for dinner later? *grumble* Ooh...
And then finally! The light of enlightenment dawns and...
"Guys, back to our main discussion, what other themes can we come up with?"
And then the cycle starts all over again.
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! *silent scream complete with hair-pulling imagery*
For pete's sakes guys, hurry up! I have other stuff to do, such as rushing back and helping to pack stuff (fumigation of mosquitoes round 2). I do not have the time to lounge around and crap with you all.
When I chose to leave early, it was like taking a breath of fresh air after spending hours in a closed room with no window. I felt tired. Mentally and physically. 2 hours and no results. This isn't the first time though, I've believe they have gone on for 3 hours or more...
And the person who promised to update me on the results clean forgot to. Isn't a director (yes that's what his title is) supposed to manage people? It's been just 2 days since I brought the matter of communication up and somehow it has slipped his mind again. Grrr...
Should I quit? I'm seriously considering now... I'm not being a quitter, but this is ridiculous. It's a friggin waste of my time and effort. They don't give a damn whether I hang around or not anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment