Started my first day of internship today. Was a little nervous, and naturally so. I'm a rather homely person, so I'm not comfortable with being thrust into a new environment. I prefer familiar surroundings that I can relax in, and people whom I know to relax with.
So it was with some dread that I stood at the front door to the office. I straightened my clothes, took a deep breath, then took the plunge. I don't claim to be an expert, but here's a couple of things I picked up on my first day.
Kiasu Intern Tip 1:
Introduce yourself.
I went in, and introduced myself as "the intern". Hehe. In a world of managers, directors, mr and mrs, its good to give yourself a title to remind everyone of your status in the organization. Being an intern is a good thing. It reminds everyone that you're not permanently in the organization, and can shield you from any potential office politics.
Kiasu Intern Tip 2:
Identify a mentor you can turn to for help. Vitally important, since as far as I know, in a new place, it's so easy to get lost. Brushing up on what to do, how to do it and where to go to do things can go a long way. The person might even drop you a few useful hints, like where all the nice food is stashed in the pantry, or the location of good makan places in the area.
Kiasu Intern Tip 3:
When introduced to others, smile and be pleasant. Then, go back to your desk and memorize the names off a contact list (if any) cos you probably can't remember them on the spot. Try and match the names with faces, cos nothing's worse than ignoring someone when you come in the next day cos you've forgotten a face. If there is no contact list, ask for one. They usually have the titles so you know what each employee is in charge of.
Kiasu Intern Tip 4:
Look for the toilet, and find out if there's a need for a key. Some offices keep their toilets locked, especially for the ladies. You won't want to be in a situation whereby you have to locate and break into the washroom, while nursing a full bladder. For my workplace, I have to bring a card along to tap in order to get out the back door. Other than that, the toilets are not locked.
Kiasu Intern Tip 5:
Investigate the pantry. Hehe. Look for all the foods, and especially, places where the special drink packets are stashed. The pantry in my current office is quite neatly arranged, with everything labelled correctly. I have noticed a tin of brown powder that I am told is milo, and plan to make my own version of a milo dinosaur sometime in the future.
Kiasu Intern Tip 6:
The stationery cupboard. Ahh... a heaven of FREE pencils, pens, files, staplers, clips in all shapes and sizes, and other products I never knew existed. I'm amazed at how fully its stocked. I could set up a Popular book store here. You could consider preparing for the new school term. I mean, we are entitled to perks, aren't we?
Kiasu Intern Tip 7:
Locate all suitable eating places within a 500m radius of the office, and plan your lunch time accordingly. Raffles Place gets packed after 12, so I try to leave a little before then or later on when the crowds clear. Identify a variety of foods too: full meals for a pleasant lunch, sandwiches on the go, and cai fan to da bao back if need be.
Oh and bring tissue! Or die trying to chope a place without it.
Kiasu Intern Tip 8:
Plan for the next day.
If your workplace is cold, bring a jacket. I'm currently using my birthday present (thanks Jack, Liyan, Clarice!) cos its a freaking 17 degrees over here.
If you need to take an afternoon nap, bring a pillow.
If you feel lonely, bring a stuffed animal to hug.
If you get bored, why not burn a disc of your mp3s, grab some earphones and play it on your computer. But of course, keep an ear out for someone calling you.
If you feel your work area is dull, spruce it up! Put on a funky (but not pornographic) computer wallpaper, plonk a bonsai plant on your desk or hang christmas lights around your cubicle. Remember, the only limit is your imagination.
Cos the fact of the matter is, you're going to be stuck here for ages. So, might as well make your workplace your home away from home. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment