Went for my mammogram today.
6 months ago, I discovered a lump in my breast. I had completely freaked out, and rushed to the polyclinic for a check-up. From there, I was referred to Changi General.
Thankfully back then, the breast doctor (yes that's what they're called) performed an ultrasound scan and declared that no, it was not cancer. The lump was a type of benign tumour known as fibroadenoma, that consists of excess glandular or fibrous tissue. It occurs in 10% of all women, and is most common for women who are 15 to 30 years old, or pregnant. Some women go through their lives not knowing that they have them, because they are usually too small to be noticed.
She pointed a few oval-shaped structures (yes I have more than one) with well-defined outlines on the scan. This was a good sign, as an irregular outline would raise the possibility of a mass being cancerous.
Should the lumps ever get bigger, increase in number, or become cancerous, then an operation will have to be arranged to remove them surgically. As such, they have to monitor the lumps' growth and that means a trip down to the X-ray department every 6 months, followed by a review with the doctor one to two weeks later.
And so 6 months later, here I was going through it again.
My appointment was supposed to be at 10.05am, but someone from the hospital had called me up a few days earlier and told me to come down later at 11.20am instead. So, imagine my surprise when the a receptionist from the hospital called me up that morning.
"Hello... Are you aware that you have an ultrasound scan today?"
"Yes, someone from your department called me a few days back. She asked me to come later at 11.20am."
"Oh erm, where are you now?"
"At home. Leaving soon. Going to take a taxi down."
"Oh, ok. Try and come as soon as possible..."
And the rest is history. CGH is really messed up sometimes.
After that, it was another crazy race for a taxi, and in the end I had to book one. Just my luck, a Mercedes cab too. More expensive...
Finally got to the hospital, and completed the check-up in 40 minutes. I asked the radiologist about my condition and she said that everything was fine. The number of lumps remained the same and they had not increased in size. The outline of all the lumps were still clearly defined. Have to see the doctor to have it confirmed though.
After that, took the shuttle back to Eastpoint, where I dropped by Pet Safari. I just love this place! Its got puppies, cats, hamsters, rabbits and fish, all squeezed into a tiny area. Its like going into a miniature zoo. Too bad its smaller than it used to be, but still good.
Following that little detour, met mum for lunch at Tampines Mall, before heading home with her to officially begin my weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment