Friday, August 08, 2008

Wow!


I'm just being honest. The Beijing Olympics opening ceremony was really spectacular. It was amazing to see how they managed to blend in culture and history into what could otherwise have been another run-of-the-mill mass performance. I know China has a lot of problems with human rights issues, but that aside, they did do a good job in kicking off this significant sporting event.

I chose this photo above cos this was the part that really wowed me and mum as we watched from home. We're still wondering how they managed to lift the rings into the air (along with the acrobats flitting around on wires as fairies). From that point onwards, it became clear that the whole ceremony was going to have a strong Asian/Chinese theme. There were the scrolls, the robes, the dragon pillars etc, aspects that I found refreshing.

Even the usually witty Brit commentator had no idea what he was seeing. It was apparent as he struggled to describe the meaning of what the performers were doing. Most of the time, it was his female Chinese counterpart whom he had to turn to for help. Guess someone didn't do his homework.

"They are holding some strips of wood..."

"Those are bamboo strips. The earliest form of books in China."

"Now some people are in robes... What is that on their heads?"

"They are the disciples of Confucious."

"Now they are flying some kites. Don't tell me that's ancient too?"

"Yes. They were invented in 479 B.C. in China."

At this point I couldn't help but giggle. The guy summed up this confusing culture clash when he stated.

"Let's see what the hell is going to happen next..."

Lol.

Asia really seems to be coming into its own, and it's about time the Western world realized that.

No comments: