Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Just found out that this anime is coming to Arts Central.

Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)
Arts Central, Wednesdays 11pm


The central theme of this anime is revenge.

Urban legend says that there is a website that can only be accessed at midnight by a person who harbours a deep grudge against another. The one seeking revenge only has to submit the name of the person before Enma Ai arrives to take him or her straight to hell. Of course, the vengeful person pays a price too. He or she is "marked" and will themselves be sent to hell at the end of their natural lives.

I've watched only one to two episodes of this anime, before it was taken off youtube (damn copyright policies mumble grumble). The animation is pretty good, with each episode featuring a new victim and situation. Since I haven't watched the entire season, I can't say for sure if all the epsiode plots are compelling. However, from the two episodes I've watched, I find myself sympathizing with the ones seeking vengence. Their experiences may be vastly different, but the feeling of extreme hatred and frustration is definitely something most people can empathize with.

It's good to give your darker emotions an outlet sometimes, even if it is just an anime.

***

Anyway, last night, I happened to watch this Arts Central documentary called Destination Truth. It's about this guy running around the globe investigating odd creatures and strange mysteries. Frankly, I wasn't impressed. Their evidence was inconclusive and their research methodology kinda flawed. Some of their lines even felt scripted. Even if there was something out there, I don't think they had the ability to find it!

I especially hated it when at one point, while looking for a lake monster on a boat, the host flashes his torchlight about and goes.

"Is that a shadow in the water?"

"There! There! Over there!"

*camera pans to view of choppy lake surface which under the light is naturally, full of shadows*

Rrrrright...

Don't believe me? Watch it yourself. This is Part 1 of 5, featuring the Malaysian Bigfoot and the lake monster, or the Argentinian Nahuelito.


No comments: