I've always had weird upstairs neighbours.
Last night, at about 9 plus in the night, me and mum were in the bedroom. Suddenly, there was a series of loud, continuous thumps coming from the ceiling. Someone in the unit above mine was hammering something at night, either that or moving something heavy. This was followed by the sound of a door slamming, and someone shouting in the corridor above.
"Siao," my mother said. "Who hammers things at night?. I thought they come home they tired already... Why they still make noise?"
"Maybe it's an argument lor... Maybe there's going to be a fight, then murder!"
Why did I say murder? Well, let me tell you a bit of the history of the people who lived in the unit above mine. The previous owner had been an old lady who was bit of a loony bin. She had the habit of collecting rubbish from around the neighbourhood (old bicycle parts, baby strollers etc), hammering them to bits in her home, and then either throwing the pieces down the rubbish chute or those that didn't fit out the window. Her corridor was always cluttered with all sorts of bulky stuff people had thrown away and she had salvaged. The police had been called many times, but to no avail.
Well, she used to hammer things around the clock, sometimes even at 2 am in the morning. It was pretty common for everyone in the home to be woken up by the sounds of horrendously loud banging. To console ourselves, we made a running joke that she had probably murdered someone and was hacking up the body during these instances at night.
Well, she eventually passed away, and the present owner moved in. He rents out the place, so there are quite a few people living in the unit above. Until recently, they were pretty quiet. But these days, they seem to like to bang at night. It isn't that bad though, the banging doesn't last for long and doesn't occur frequently. It's more of an annoyance than torture, so we just let it be.
Then this morning, I was surprised to see water come pouring down in steady streams and drips from above our window.
"Mum? Why got water har?"
"Har... Aiyoh! All their dirty water all coming in. Got kena the floor or not?"
"Nope."
"See la.... @)$&#%$ the window sill all got! Wait I have to wipe."
It looked like someone was spraying water out the window of the unit above. Either that, or they had washed something like a bedsheet and had not wrung it dry at all. Just chucked it out the window and hoped for the best.
The stream gushed for something like 10 minutes, then gradually it slowed down to drips before disappearing altogether.
Freaky.
Apart from these few annoyances, the people upstairs seem to like to throw things out their window too. It's not uncommon for me to enter the kitchen to see empty sachets that once held instant noodle seasoning, the rotten leaves of vegetables and other random kitchen rubbish lying on the floor beneath the window. I dunno why they can't use the rubbish chute.
Sigh... I could go on and on.
I have no idea why we can't have normal neighbours in the unit above ours. Just a regular family or a working couple maybe. Nope, somehow the unit above seems to attract people who are nuisances.
Maybe the fengshui isn't too good or something, I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment