I'm really puzzled.
Seriously man... Isn't this supposed to be The Karate Kid?
I was watching the trailer and started scratching my head in the beginning when they showed Jaden Smith prancing about in Beijing.
Last time I checked, karate was a Japanese martial art. So... what the hell are they doing in China???
I got even more confused when Jackie Chan started talking about kung fu in the trailer itself.
I'm not the only one apparently, as can be seen in this wikipedia entry. The film's cast members have been referring to it as The Kung Fu Kid, which I feel is a more apt name. Why don't they make it a totally new movie altogether? In an attempt at cultural sensitivity, the film will be released as The Kung Fu Kid only in China, Japan and South Korea.
Personally, I'm calling this movie The Confused Kid. Cos that is what the rest of us in Asia will feel when it opens in cinemas throughout the region.
No comments:
Post a Comment