It's such a refreshing feeling from the dull old viewpoint of a cynical adult. I felt this today during class when chatting with the kids.
The lesson had yet to start and I usually begin with a bit of small talk to get to know them better. I find it very easy to talk to kids. They answer questions straight on without evading, a valuable trait I find to be increasingly rare in adults nowadays.
"Hello, you're early today," I said to my little charge, S, as she came scrambling through the door, heavy bag in tow.
"Early meh?"
"Yup. Well, you can do your own stuff for a while. It isn't time yet."
She proceeded to put down her things before plopping down onto a chair.
"Can we finish class early today?"
"Why? What's up?"
"My mum's bringing me to Popular!" At this point, she seemed genuinely excited. She made it sound like Ali Baba's cave of hidden treasures.
"Oh why... you need to get some things?"
"For my project, Social Studies."
I continued to listen to her talk as she took out some work. Sometimes I let the kids do the talking. Most of the time, their parents are too busy to give them the attention they need. They seem to really appreciate it whenever another adult (oh I feel strange calling myself this) listens to what they have to say.
When you're young, everything's fresh and new. Popular to me is just another store in a shopping mall, whereas to her it was a place of numerous possibilities, especially when it came to art materials.
A few minutes later, another student, C, came in. She plonked down next to S, then began rummaging in her bag.
C took out a little cardboard box and emptied its contents on the table. Out rolled a handful of erasers, all in the shapes of various food products (bowls of ramen, bottled drinks). She lined them up lovingly as S reached out to touch them.
"So cute!" S's eyes were huge as she stroked the bowl of ramen lovingly.
"Yah. These are all mine. My mother buy for me one."
"Wah..." S reached out for a small ice cream eraser. C warned her not to take it apart, as it was very precious. She had a growing number of erasers at home, and this was just a sample of her prized collection.
As S tried to persuade C to give her one (C declined over and over again), I just looked on.
Kids are so frank and easily contented. Somewhere along the road to adulthood, they lost these qualities. It's just such a pity sometimes.
So much so that I really value these qualities when I come across them. I enjoy them so much that I can safely say that for most of the time, I'm more comfortable in the company of kids than adults.
******
On a side note, this is such a cheerful song.
Hope it makes you happy too. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment