Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DAY 1: INTO THE LION'S DEN (PART 1)

For the past few days since last Friday, I have been experiencing a recurring high fever. I would go to bed feeling insanely hot, yet getting chills at the same time so that I end up throwing on my blanket. I would then wake up in the middle of the night with my face and body drenched in sweat. Whenever morning came, the fever subsided. Then, like a bad nightmare, it would return in the night to torment me again. During the day, I frequently experienced lethargy and giddy spells.

Today I decided that enough was enough. I went to see a different doctor from the one I saw the first time on Saturday to get a second opinion. He said it could be Dengue Fever because of how persistent the fever was. Apart from the fever, I was also having a sore throat and some phlegm. My muscles and joints ached, and I had thrown up a little. The doctor gave me an injection on my bum (oh the indiginity) and told me that if this injection didn't work, then I was to check myself into A & E the next morning.

Well, night came and so did my fever. This time, the chills got worse and I was actually shivering in my room with no fan or air conditioning turned on. On my mother's advice, my dad accompanied me to Changi General Hospital. A&E at midnight was a rather quiet place. There were still patients, but the place was less crowded and hectic. I got admitted, then waited for my turn. I saw one doctor, who asked me some questions, and then a second one. The second doctor took some blood samples and when I turned back, I found that a catheter had been neatly inserted into the crook of my right arm.

I was then told to collect a urine sample (a thoroughly messy affair) and went for a chest X-ray. Finally, I was given some Panadol and then told to sit in a wheelchair. The nurse also attached a saline drip to me and I sat there to wait for my results.

The results came without much fanfare. A chest X-ray was brought up on a screen by the second doctor who had taken my blood samples. She pointed out some white patches within the surrounding dark of my right lung. Stating that it was some sort of chest infection, she mentioned that I had to stay. My urine test also showed that I had a urinary tract infection that needed to be treated as well. So it was that I was told to be warded.

After the necessary procedures were made, I was wheeled to a B2 ward with 6 beds per room. There were 3 other patients when I came in. The other beds were empty so I was number 4. I changed into my hospital outfit and was asked some questions by the nurse. Then, I lay on the bed and tried to get some rest. My fever was creeping back and my throat was starting to get itchy. I coughed to clear my throat a few times. My blood pressure was taken now and then by the same nurse.

At around 3.30am, a young lady doctor finally came in. She examined me and told me that I would have to stay in hospital for 3 to 5 days. So it was that my fate was sealed. I couldn't talk much as by now I had already lost my voice.

She turned off the lights, pulled back the curtains and left. I lay in bed for awhile, staring at the ceiling fan that rotated constantly. The nurse came back to take my blood pressure again. I turned on my side and tried to sleep.

I think I lay awake for quite a while before drifting off towards dawn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you are getting better, and thank you for your BD wishes :3