DAY 3: THE MOMENT OF TRUTH
I woke up early today as I couldn't sleep. My throat was dry and painful. I stumbled out of bed and stood at the window. The world was still dark outside. I sat there and waited for time to pass.
Finally, at 7.30am, I decided to ring for a towel and some fresh clothes to take a bath.
First ring. The intercom buzzed to life. I waited for someone to come.
5 mins passed. No one came. I got impatient and pressed the bell a second time and waited.
10 mins passed. I pressed the bell a third time.
A rather sullen-looking nurse came in. I resisted the urge to lecture her. I was attached to an ECG machine, the drip and a blood pressure machine. Had I wanted to go to the toilet urgently, I no doubt would have soiled my bed by now. I told her sternly what I needed and thankfully, she came back with the right things. I contemplated whether to lodge a complaint, but decided against it. This was the only bad service I had received so far.
I had a refreshing bath and put on my crisp, clean clothes. Sitting down and waiting eagerly for the doctor to come, I wondered if my sputum test results were out by now. Was it TB? Was it something else? More importantly, when could I go home?
Finally, the door slid open and a new male doctor I hadn't met before came in. He told me the good news. It was not TB! It was just a form of pneumonia or a chest infection. I was over the moon. I gave thanks silently as I had breakfast. It was the first time in a few days that I actually felt happy.
The rest of the day passed uneventfully. It's funny but when you're sick, you don't have the energy or enthusiasm to do much other than stone in your room.
No comments:
Post a Comment