Thursday, September 15, 2011

My home has been infested with cockroaches lately, and they are having dozens of offspring.

I have no idea where they are coming from, though I suspect it's the rubbish chute. As for why they are here even though we don't cook and leave food lying around, I think it's because it's safe and there are no predators.

They crawl about on the floors as I get up for a glass of water in the middle of the night. Some zip right in front of my toes while I'm sitting on the toilet. One even crawled into my kitchen slipper. I did a funny dance after that to flick it off. Not fun.

And not to mention the cutlery drawer's a nursery with a cockroach nymph that has taken up residence there.

So we decided to get one of those discs that contain poisoned bait. It really works. After one night, there was one cockroach in death throes near the kitchen sink. After the second night, three more appeared, all quite dead, right next to the first one. However, no one wants to do the squeamish job of clearing the carcasses. That corner of the kitchen has thus been converted into a cockroach graveyard.

But what's even more bizarre is that the carcasses seem to have been moved about a few times since then. Something's been touching, maybe even feeding, on the dead bodies.

Ugh.

Cockroach zombies, maybe.

No comments: