Yoz, it's me again. Today's blog is for today and yesterday, cos yesterday I was too dead to write anything.
Yesterday, Sunday, 4th of May, was an Xcellent day. Why? Cos I finally went to watch X Men 2, one of the best movies I've ever seen!!! It was jam packed full of action, with a myriad of characters ranging form the rough, fast slasher Wolverine, to the mysterious and bizarre teleporting Nightcrawler. Even though it was 2 and a half hours long, it seemed like only an hour had gone. The plot was definitely more complex, with the characters developing physically as well as emotionally. One of the mutants who had become extremely powerful was Jean Grey, the telekinetic mutant. She had actually held back, using only her telekinetic powers, the rushing water from a river that had broken through a dam, at the same time lifting the blackbird, with all her friends on it, out of harm's way of the water. Too bad she died in the end, or should I say apparently so. They say that Jean survived, and will come back in the third movie as the evil Dark Phoenix. I have watched the original X Men series and I do have a fleeting image in my mind of Jean dressed all in black, surrounded by some sort of flame. Whatever it is, Jean absolutely rocks. She wasn't as wimpy as as she had been in the first movie, when she couldn't even fight the pathetic Toad.
I later went home to watch the first movie on channel 5. It was kinda boring compared to the second one.
Anyway, I had watched it with H, R and C. It was fun to see them after such a long time, I really miss going out with them. After the movie, we went to eat at Burger King and chatted for a while. We were exchanging stories about each of our schools, MJ, TPJ, and of course, TJ. Then, we went to the Challenger store to look at computer games. I had then found out that H has an email address. Cool! He is no longer left behind in the stone age, being internetless.After C left, I walked with H and R to the bus stop outside R's house. After that, I took the bus back to the interchange.
What happened next on the bus back home was really freaky and EXTREMELY EMBARRASSING! I shall not recount it! And if you are reading this mow, C and YS, you can stop laughing.
Today, 5th of May, was like any other school day. Sian sian sian...... However, we got to go to parliament house today, which was rather interesting. We had to fill in SARS forms and have our temperatures taken, but it was worth it. It's not everyday that you get to enter the HQ of the Singapore government where all the policies and laws are made.
Once inside, we entered an extremely large building that was carpeted on every level. When we entered the lobby area, we stood beneath a tall pyramid dome, that was suppsed to resemble kampung house architecture. It didn't look any different to me though, although both are made of wood.
We also learnt about the different ranks of MPs, the law-making process, as well as what goes on during a parliamentary session.
We also entered the parliament chamber. Yes, THE PARLIAMENT CHAMBER that we see on TV. It was huge, with many leather seats for all the MPs. We weren't allowed to go to the area where all the MPs normally sit, but stayed in the public viewing area, also known as the Strangers' Gallery. The seats there were plush, and there were built-in microphones in the right arms of the chairs, so that anyone could hear the debates in any language.We also learnt of the roles of the various people in parliament, such as Speaker, chief clerk, Party Whip andf Sergeant-at-Arms, the person in charge of carrying the mace. The mace is this gold plated sceptre with a winged lion at the top. It weighs about 6.8kg, and is a little over a metre in length. It is supposed to represent the authority of the Speaker, and is present during every parliamentary meeting, except when the president is present instead of the Speaker during parliament house openings.
I didn't know there was so much pomp during a meeting. We also went to a much smaller room with a layout similar to the parliament chamber. It was a place where the MPs would listen to debates by ordinary folk. All of us sat at the various positions, some pretending to be oppostion MPs, nominated MPs etc. Me, PS, D and YX were cabinet ministers, hah! There goes the future of Singapore!
After that, we were free to go, as there wasn't enough time to go the Asain Civilisaitons Museum, which was a waste since I've always wanted to go there. Me and a couple of friends walked to City Hall MRT, but I managed to eat some delicious squid fritters before that.
Mmm mmm...... I want to eat them again,greedy me.
Well, that's all for tonight. I've got to do some school stuff now! Adios armigos!
No comments:
Post a Comment