Hello everybody, here's a little poem I wld like to share cos its meaningful. So here goes...
To Have Succeeded
by Ralph Waldo Emerson
-Taken from "Chicken Soup for The Soul at Work"
To laugh often and love much;
To win the respect of intellgent people
And the affection of children;
To earn the approbation of honest critics
And endure the betrayl of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To give one's self;
To leave the world a little better,
Whether by a healthy child,
A garden patch,
Or a redeemed social condition;
To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
And sung with exultation;
To know even one life has breathed easier
Because you have lived...
That is to have succeeded.
To me, success is not simply material in nature, in terms of money or power, but to have lived life to the fullest. I believe this poet entirely, and find that what he preaches is really truth indeed. If only ppl cld see things this way, and strive to improve themselves, perhaps many conflicts cld be avoided. After all, peace only happens when ppl work towards it.
In terms of this poem, I have so far failed to succeed. This holiday has allowed me time for quiet contemplation, including the aspect of examining my relationships wif ppl. I find that there is room for vast improvement. Perhaps if u want ppl to open up to u, u hafta open up to them first. That is a little tough for me, as I have not always been a very open person, preferring instead to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself for fear of rejection, though these fears are sometimes groundless. Its really frustrating sometimes, cos ppl tend to judge u without really inderstanding u first.
I know, I know, its all rather heavy stuff for a blog, but I find that since its a reflection of the writer's personality, it shld include personal insights. Not a series of events just to show the world that u r perfect and that nothing in life bugs u. :) As the saying goes, life isnt a bed of roses.
No matter, I ll just have to work harder, in terms of studies and socialising. To succeed, however best I can, to show everyone that I will not give in and fade away... ... HA! Some ppl think Im the quiet, mousy type, cos I havent shown off my quirky side yet. Maybe I shld. So what if Im an oddball, at least Im true to myself, not just trying to put up a show that I think like everyone else and behave the same way too. *winK* U know what Im talking abt.
Tonight is the night for dark thoughts ppl, dark thoughts... I personally think its cos the schs repoening soon, back to a life of late nights and sleepy lectures and classes. Hee...
So here's to life*toast*. May urs be fruitful and fulfilling.
Syonara ppl and a sweet goodnight.
PS I know my blogs r getting weirder but dun worry, its my own way of opening up :P
No comments:
Post a Comment