Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Hello all, today as I was listening to my Avril Lavigne CD, I was hit by a wave of nostalgia.

Exactly one year ago, I was listening to this CD during my first few days of my 3 months at TJC. I remember humming the songs as I walked ard the sch, in my head of course. Back then, Avril Lavigne was the rage, "Sk8ter Boi" was a popular song played throughout the orientation n I had just fallen in love wif "I'm With You", another song by her tt I had heard for the first time from a Cardcaptor Sakura music video.

So many memories...

Hmmm... *reflects*

One year on, I dun know if Ive changed from the naive girl being plunged into a new environment. The past year has been one of numerous trials n tribulations, in more positive terms. However, to phrase it in popular slang, one wld say it sucks...

So, I wonder what cld possibly make this year a better one. I will never know, not yet tt is... However, on the realisation tt I have 1 year to decide what to do wif my life before I enter, hopefully, University... I am still torn on my career path.

Between pursuing a life of research as a Biologist or in the Biotech industry, or being a writer, perhaps a journalist.

Firstly, being a Biologist or a Biotech researcher. I wld, of course, have to take up the Biology Course or Life Sciences Course in NUS or NTU, no doubt abt tt.

However, my ambition since young hadnt really anything to do wif Life Sciences. Sure, it's interesting wif Genetics n all tt. N there wld be a pretty good supply of jobs, what wif Spore moving towards Life Sciences as one of its major engines of economic growth. However, I admit I am somewhat of a klutz. I feel tt Im not as skilled in lab work as I ought to be. Dropping slides, spilling solution, n taking such a long time to figure out the proceedures, carrying them out to ensure a successful experiment.

Furthermore, beyond the glare of lab lights n the endless possibilities of the DNA double-helix structure, I harbour a secret dream.

The dream, tt has driven me since young. The dream of doing field work, monitoring populations n doing research in exotic places from the Seregenti in Africa to the deep forests of the Amazon. As a primary sch kid, I used to wonder at how exciting life wld be as a Biologist, camping out n getting closer to wildlife than any other person. Helping to heal n understand the delicate balance of Nature. Coming eye to eye wif an elephant as it peers through the window of my jeep.

Haha... :) Fluffy fantasies, no doubt. Most likely I'll be trudging through dirt n mud, eaten alive by mosquitoes n leeches, or not have a bath in days. Or more likely staying in boring ol' Spore, where wildlife isnt tt wild.

At least Im not a bio teacher. I'll risk a lioness...

So anyway, I also have resonsibilities in Spore. Im an only child. What abt my parents, I cant just pack up n leave...

Oh bye Mum, bye Dad. I have to go study Orang Utans in Sumatra now. Settle dinner urselves, k?

Exactly. I'll probably be spending long periods overseas. Besides, I dun think they provide the courses I need in NUS or NTU. I wld have to go overseas, n my parents wont be able to afford tt.

So, tt leaves me wif my second choice, writing.

I havent really thought abt being a journalist before. They say its hectic, what wif deadlines to meet n articles to write. Im not sure if I have the mettle to do it. I mean, can u imagine going up to the relative of an accident victim n asking him how he feels abt his dead son, so as to write his views in ur article? Horrible. They say its a glam job, but I doubt it. U got to do the sucky reports first before they give u challenging ones.

But, writing in this blog, Ive suddenly felt tt I like writing, or typing actually. I like to play wif words, though I must admit my vocabulary is far from expansive. What to do? In tt case I have to study Mass Comm in NTU... But I like NUS...

I m having a rather confused night.

No comments: