Life Sciences or Mass Comm, Life Sciences or Mass Comm... These 2 phrases have been ricoheting around in my skull since this morning, after the Mass Communications talk I attended. Both courses have their pros and cons, but they seem so evenly matched. Maybe it's cos I dun know what to do wif my life yet ( dun we all... ).But then again, tough choices should be made now, not when it's too late.
Yeah I supposed I've mentioned before tt I've been thinking of being a journalist, but it's no easy feat to get myself in the course to study journalism and publishing. As Prof Lee, the lecturer said, u gotta score in GP! (AT tt point, there was a collective groan from all in LT2, cos GP is like a u-get-it-or-u-dun subject. ) My GP grade kinda sucked n unless I have the vocabulary of an Oxford dictionary and the ability to write long, complicated, and intelligent-looking essays, Im really quite doomed...
However, I do like to write. I think I can express myself pretty well wif words. I also like ppl to read my writing, ego AA person tt I am. ^_^ Anyway I wldnt mind something in which I can move more rather than sit at a desk all day. Mebbe Ive got my mum's genes. She once told me how she used to be in sales cos it allowed her to be more mobile.
On the other hand, the field of Life Sciences is like an old friend. Ive grown up wif it since Sec 3 and most of the stuff is quite familiar. Biology in NUS and NTU, however, is concerned more wif genetics rather than the study of plants and animals in general. (I like to think tt Singapore's so small we've only got space for cells, not herds of zebra.) Well, if tts the case then I'll be spending the rest of my life squinting down a microscope, poking cells and playing wif DNA. Not something I really wanna do. I find it boring, and besides, my idea of studying Biology was to be a Field Biologist. The gung-ho type decked out in khaki, boots, an Indiana Jones hat, concerned only wif chasing elephants halfway across grasslands in a jeep.
Ahhh... The blood-red sunset, the outlines of herd animals strolling across the plains in the dusk. I think I've been watching waaay too many documentaries. :)
So at the end of the day, it's all about taking the plunge. Do I have the guts to try something totally out of my league, which might seem difficult but could well lead to a satisfying career tt I'll have a passion for. Or should I stay wif an old friend, and perhaps hope tt I'll grow to love staring at cells all day.
I still dun know... *looks thoughtful*
No comments:
Post a Comment