Monday, April 25, 2005

Today's driving was an absolute breeze!

You have no idea how wonderful it is to drive without shifting the nasty gear lever and depressing the irritating clutch. An auto-car has no clutch pedal and you dont't need to shift the gear lever at all. You basically just have to shift it to D while depressing the brake pedal. On release of the brake pedal, the car immediately inches forward. No half-clutch position or biting point of whatever. Just a smooth drive.

The best part is accelerating. Woohoo! I didn't have to keep my eye on the speedometer to check the speed in order to shift to the appropriate gear. All I did was gradually depress the accelerator pedal. In other words, stopping and starting at junctions were no longer a hassle. I basically went from 0 to 20km/h in 2 seconds, and could feel my body slam backwards into the driver's seat!

Another good thing was that the training car was relatively new, a Toyota Vios. This was a vast contrast to the rickety old Toyota Soluna I usually grappled with. It was better designed, and more comfortable for me. Even so, the seat still wasn't high enough and I had to put 2 cushions beneath me to prop myself up. If I didn't do that then I would end up facing the dashboard.

Last but not least, the auto-car tends to move faster than a manual car. Because the car changes the gears for you instead of you doing it yourself manually, you tend to accelerate faster. As a result, my car was moving faster than before. So, instead of the instructor asking me to move faster, he was asking me to slow down.

"Slow down, bend ahead."

"Slow down, approaching junction."

Slow down... slow down...

It got a bit irritating after a while.:P

I really felt kinda sad when my driving lesson was over. I wanted to continue driving on and on. It was so freaking fun!

No comments: