Saturday, July 29, 2006

Wah sian... I am screwed.

On Friday I checked out my course bidding, and found that I didn't get one of the courses I wanted. Shit. Now I have one less course in the upcoming term, which is quite bad.

This time's bidding was crazy. Basically, the BOSS (bidding online system) works on the concept of supply and demand. Every term, we are given e dollars to "bid" for a course. You place a certain amount of money, then hope that it is equal to or higher than other people's bids. If it is, then you get the course.

The irony or ironies is that I did indeed place a value equivalent to the minimum bid for that course. Usually, I would get it for sure.

Hmm... But I still didn't get in. Still puzzled till today. 0_0??

One possible answer to this is that students from other schools (biz, econs, IS) decided to choose that particular course. Hence, there were not enough vacancies, and I was "sacrificed".

This time the prices shot up past the roof. But then again, the course I chose is a general managment course, so I did expect that. But not to such an extreme degree.

$55.15 max? I mean come on... Usually I expect to bid only $30 plus for a course, even one from the business school. Though I've heard that in the business school, biz students need to bid more money on courses as there's so many of them. Competition gets tough.

So I don't mind this so much. It a general business course, with at least 6 sessions. So it has just enough vacancies and is free for everyone to take.

But what I don't get is that it's suddenly so difficult to get into social psychology, s CORE social science course. I bidded for it twice with some friends. Both times we didn't get it. As a result, we had to choose this management course, which I didn't get. Again!

Am pissed.

Social psychology is a social science course. 120 places should be more than enough to accomodate all of us, with 40 places for each session. That comes up to only 3 sessions. This is in contrast to the (at least) 6 sessions for the business course. In short, places are limited for this core course. But there seem to be more people than places this time.

So where the hell did all these other people come from? There's only 100 of us in social science, including those that have already taken the course in their previous terms. So who are all the extra people???

The answer... once again... some students from other schools...

Shit.

Its our core, so get the hell out of it. If we don't finish these foundation course, we get in trouble. We aren't bidding for your courses, so why on earth are you coming to mess up ours. Even if we do, its just for the sake of having 5 courses (as in my case), and not having other possible courses to bid for.

Not only that. Thanks to all the competition, the bids get higher and higher. We have to spend more out of sheer desperation to get the course. In the end, we won't have enough money for the next term, when we have to bid for others courses that have more limited places.

Dammit.

It's an unfair world that we live in.

On a lighter note, next week will be the last week of work for me. =D

Hurrah. Something good at least. :p

No comments: