Wednesday, February 07, 2007

As I was dressing up after a shower just now, musing over things while I performed this daily ritual, something hit me like a bolt of lightning. I was feeling relaxed at that point in time, having just had a shower after an icky day at school. The afternoon was a warm one, and I was glad to be able to cool off at home.

In short, I felt pretty good. The chance to return home on a hot Wednesday afternoon was a luxury. At least I didn't have lessons till 6.45pm, or worse, project work after that.

Then the thought occurred to me how this was one of life's simple joys. Not a real wham-bam hoo-haa affair, but something to perk you up, much like a small cup of expresso in the morning.

It's these little joys that keep one going.

As I continued about my daily business, I began to recall them one at a time. There were many, and some brought a small smile to my face.

I decided to list down some of the things that I consider my small joys. They are part of the nitty-gritty events that happen in everyday life. They can occur to anyone, anywhere.

Some little joys include....

1) Warm, lazy afternoons, much like today. It's the type that you nap through, leaving you warm but not breaking out in a sweat. Of course, having nothing to do helps, but even when I'm busy, it's nice to know that outside the window there's a bright blue sky.

2) A good story. I don't care if it's horror or romance, on a website or narrated, or whether it's fact or fiction. If it is intriguing and amusing, then my eyes and ears are open. Stories are built on perspectives. Every time I read or listen to one, it's like are gaining an insight into a person's mind, inluding his or her attitudes, experiences and beliefs. That, in itself, is amazing.

3) Tea. I've been drinking it for as long as I can remember. I like most kinds, be they green, tarik-ed, cold or hot. Nothing, however, beats a cup of fragrant milk tea, especially during a boring lesson. It's my life-saver.

4) Caring for my dad's plants. He doesn't have the time, so I water them everyday. I also sprinkle fertilizer and pluck out dead leaves/flowers from time to time. It's nice to see a splash of green or pink stand out against an otherwise drab, grey corridor.

5) A catchy tune. I often listen to particular songs for a period of time. Sometimes, it plays in my head as I go about my daily business and I hum along to it. Kind of like an everyday theme song.

6) Instant noodles late at night. I do get the munchies when I study, and I love slurping it down. I know about the unhealthiness of msg blah blah blah, but when you're a student, you can never ignore the rumblings of a hungry stomach. At least it's something to look forward to during the long, lonely nights of working.

Well, these are just some of my little joys, though they're a little on the boring side. XD I'm sure there are many more if I think hard enough. Some people are so preoccupied with their troubles that they neglect doing or thinking of things which actually make them feel good. It's so easy to forget that while these things don't solve the problem, they do make life more pleasurable.


So what are your little joys?

No comments: