Friday, July 27, 2007

Goodbye Maxima...

Today was my last day at work, and I was in a rather relaxed mood but excited mood. I didn't have to worry about deadlines or anything else related to work for that matter. Instead, my main focus that morning was getting to work early with the food that I had bought.

The reason? Me and Sharlene came up with the idea to give everyone in the office a hamper of food. After all, we knew what a few of them liked to eat, so we'd thought this would be a great way of repaying their kindness towards us.

So we met at about 9 plus in the building stairwell on the 11th floor, one floor below our office. As we kneeled there, we placed the food in a plastic office tray, which was again placed on a plastic sheet. The four corners of the sheet were then pulled up and secured together with tape. More tape was used to patch up any gaps in the side. Once that was done, the hamper was crowned with a pink ribbon to cover the tape at the top.

With the hamper wrapped, Sharlene went ahead to lead Ivy (the receptionist) away from her desk, so that I could rush in with the hamper and hide it in the library, a small adjoining room to the conference room. This I did, and so I happily went back to the office to report for work.

Most of the day was then spent relaxing in front of the computer, surfing websites at my own lesiure. Of course I did do some work... but that was kept to the bare minimum. =)

Later in the afternoon, around lunch time, there was a surprise waiting for us. There was going to be a small party of sorts held in our honour. It wasn't anything over-the-top, but a simple lunch affair. We all had lunch together in the conference room, eating soup ordered from the Soup Spoon across the road, plus additional snacks of potato chips, chocolates and drinks of coke and soda water.

Before the lunch began, Mr Ojha (my supervisor) asked for us to give a speech. We didn't do so, but instead went into the library to take out the hamper. Everyone's faces lit up. We presented that, as well as a card, to Mr Ojha. Then, we read out what we had written on the card, to everyone's applause.

That wasn't the only trick up Mr Ojha's sleeve. After most of us had finished our soup and had settled down to rest, Lilian appeared with cake from the library (hmm... I guess it's the best place to hide stuff). It was Irene's birthday celebration (though it wasn't the actual day but close enough), and they had bought the delicious banana and chocolate cake from Secret Recipe. Irene was surprised and delighted, and we all took pictures.

Soon, the party ended, and then it was back to work. We had a second round of cake after that, in order to finish it off. Mr Ojha and Lilian even gave us presents, so sweet! Then, we took some photos before going off to have dinner with Kelly (the secretary).

Dinner was relaxing, a welcome relief from a emotional day. After that, I went home to my bed.

So ends my internship, and what a ride it's been. =D

No comments: