
I think Arts Central has finally gotten it right.
After endless episodes of Inuyasha (I don't hate it but its really old) and some fan service - laden titles like Kiddy Grade, they've finally been able to bring in something relatively recent and decent for their nightly anime slot, Animania.
The anime in question is the dubiously-titled D Grayman. Based on the currently on-going manga of the same name by Katsura Hoshino, it is a classic tale of good versus evil. It hasn't stirred up much hoohaah (as far as I know of) compared to mega-titles like Bleach, Naruto or most notably Death Note, but I think it has merits in its own right.
The story is set an entirely re-visioned 19th century England, where an ongoing battle between light and dark ensues. A mysterious figure by the name of the Millenium Earl aims to wipe out Mankind, and does so with the aid of sinister killing machines called Akuma. Resemblng giant floating mines, they are powered by trapped souls, and exist only to do his bidding.
Resisting him is the Black Order, a secret organization whose members are called Exorcists. Gifted with Anti-Akuma weapons that are powered by a strange matter called Innocence, they are the only group powerful enough to stand in his way. They continuously foil his plans; namely by killing off the Akuma, and retrieving all 109 units of Innocence before he can destroy them. This task is monumental, as most units of Innocence have already fused with inanimate objects or people all over the world, and thus require great effort to locate.
The series follows the trials and tribulations of one of its members, Allen Walker. The 15 year-old is the youngest Exorcist there, and is unique as his left eye can "see" the souls of the dead trapped within the machines. His weapon is his left arm, which can change into a giant, clawed hand and later a cannon that can shoot energy bolts at the enemy.
In all traditions of anime, there are no limits to the imagination. The action is intense, the settings exotic and the characters colourful and outrageous in their own right. I love the designs and especially the clothing. Everything has a Victorian feel to it, and there's no excessive baring of flesh which I find rather comforting.
But most of all, what makes the anime stand out is its intelligent plot. There is plenty of heart, and the characters all have distinct personalities. Then there's the idea of the origins of the Akuma, which in the words the Millenium Earl himself, are the direct result of the "crystallization of sins in the human heart." It is this aspect which is most intriguing but sad, as it plays on the enduring themes of loss, grief and human suffering. There are also some pseduo-religious themes within it, and this bent adds some depth to the premise of the show. Without sounding too deep, it provides some light philosphical insight into human nature.
Some complaints I have so far is that some parts might be a little slow, with action scenes sometimes continuing for more than one episode. That's because of irritating "filler" scenes which exist to waste time till the following episode. I also dislike how one of the female characters of the show is portrayed as typically doing menial work, or in some scenes there just to add some eye candy to the show.
But then again, on the whole it's still pretty good. Of course, what's anime without its music. I love the first starting, Innocent Sorrow and ending theme, Snow Kiss. The latter is especially my favourite.
******
As for me, school is in full-swing and I have the mid-week blues. So much readings to do! O.O I've managed to catch today's episode of the anime but I'm not sure if I can still manage my time in the future. Thank god for Youtube! Hope those buggers don't start screaming intellctual property rights and delete the uploaded episodes.
Back to the books for me. *yawn*
No comments:
Post a Comment