Sunday, August 26, 2007

What a weekend.

It seems my luck has not been good this year. I keep falling ill... Once my throat healed, I had thought that my suffering would be over.

Then, my eyes started swelling. I have been tolerating this on-off swelling problem for some time now since May. After a few hours of wearing contact lenses, the membrane of either one of my eyes (the conjuctiva ohhh yay biology) would swell and turn red. My whole eye would also become very itchy.

I would then have to take out my lens, stuff it somewhere convenient (usually a water bottle), stop myself from scratching (even a light rub would aggravate the problem) and hope for the best.

Finally, my mum decided enough was enough and marched me to my optometrist in Marina Parade on Saturday, where I had my contact lenses made. The optometrist inverted both eyelids and spotted the problem immediately.

Giant Papillary Conjuctivitis.

Great.

On the inside of my eyelid were papillae (mini pimples) full of liquid. These were caused by the rubbing of the lenses against the inside of my eyelids everytime I blinked. Sometimes, a few of these "pimples" would burst, releasing the liquid and causing my vision to become hazy. These papillae were also responsible for the itchiness. This condition usually afflicts 80% of contact lense wearers.

As for the redness and swelling, this was due to the lens itself not allowing enough oxygen for my eyes to "breathe".

He gave me a prescription for Opticrom eye drops and told me to keep off the lenses for a month. Then, I would have to see him again. If worse comes to worst, then I'll have to invest in bimonthly contacts or another more expensive brand that allows for ten times more oxygen flow to the eye.

In the mean time... I have to wear glasses to school again.

*groan*

Back to mugging...

No comments: