Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I surrender... *waves white flag of defeat* A class till 6.45pm class the previous day and now an 8.30am class for the second half of this term.

*groan*

I wish I had bidded for the first-half-term session of Negotiation Skills for Business. I have no choice but to take this course, since it's a prerequisite. But damn... of all the courses. I don't like talking much. Give me a good ol' boring lecture for me to vegetate through any day.

So it was then I dragged my zombified self and plopped down in a corner of class this morning. The Prof was this German guy who's really nice. Don't get me wrong... the course is fine... the Prof is fine... it's just that I'm a lazy pig sometimes.

Maybe I have some sort of attention deficit disorder, or perhaps it's the odd hours; but after a while I began to drift into my little dreamland... As I was floating through pink clouds under a twilight sky, I had the vague impression that he was going through something important. But, I couldn't care less and just let it slide...

However, I snapped back to reality when he mentioned group work. We were going to break up into pairs, with one person being a buyer and another a seller. We were going to negotiate a deal, with the only issue being price. My partner was a nice guy, and honestly I didn't take the whole thing seriously. I was just glad when we came to an agreement, submitted the results, and I could go back to my seat.

After the activity, the results were flashed on the board. As I looked up, I mentally gave myself a slap on the forehead (I didn't do that in class, it would make me look kinda nuts).

I was the one with the worse results, and there was my name on the screen for everyone to see. A few classmates giggled, the Prof looked confused (poor guy maybe he though that he hadn't gotten the message across) and I could feel my ego deflating rapidly...

Eeeee... I need a hole to bury myself in. Now.

Thankfully, the Prof was diplomatic about it. He said something like ok... everyone's here to learn, so please don't go around telling everyone and making fun of your classmate (I'm blogging about it, woops).

So I resolve to try harder! Must do better next week.

No more floating through the clouds for me.

No comments: