I've been on internship for around one month over now, and there are a lot of things I've learnt so far. Both about the corporate world, and about myself.
Firstly, one thing I noticed is that things are never what they seem. There's a certain gloss over everything, but under all that are undercurrents that can either guide you in the right direction or sweep you away.
A prime example would be relationships. At work, I find that there's always some calculation involved when you want to do something for a person. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. The positive side of it is what we call reciprocity, the other end of the spectrum is what is sometimes termed "sucking up".
Its this constant calculation that I find exhausting. Sometimes you want to do something for a person out of unselfish reasons, or simply because you like the guy or he or she is your friend. However, even an unselfish action can be interpreted as something else, and the original meaning of it is lost entirely.
Then there's this hierarchy that I find stifling. I understand that wherever you go, there'll always be a boss or supervisor over you. The basics are all there... the need for respect... to carry out instructions to the letter etc... But it can get oppressive at times. I'm sure that with the trend towards flatter organizational structures and positive working environments, it's much better now than in the past. But still, I see the current development as being somewhere along the lines of "I'm your friend, but don't toe the line." Despite the percieved friendliness, there's a need for caution when dealing with superiors.
And lastly, the necessity of upkeeping a certain impression or image. I'm not saying people should be allowed to be slobs, but I find that there's always this need to be aware of what signals you're sending to others, no matter how trivial or petty it may be. Once, I was advised not to rest at my desk (during lunchtime I might add), because it gave people the wrong impression that I was skivving. It made me wonder if there was anything wrong with someone taking a little nap during lunch. So would you rather I keep nodding off, or do something else but work to keep awake? Yes. Apparently, "pretending" is the safer option.
So all these little things have made me seriously consider what sort of environment I would want to work in in the future. Freelance, self-employed, employed? Even if I do have to work in an environment where this stuff is present, I should at least ensure that they are kept to a minimum.
Cos at the end of the day, you're the one who's going to work every day.
Not your parents who want you to be a doctor or a lawyer...
Not your neighbour whose kid is getting a prestigious post in a MNC...
And certainly, I can attest to this, not your relatives who constantly use New Year gatherings to compare your achievements with those of their offspring.
No comments:
Post a Comment