Monday, September 13, 2010

Today was a typical day in class... except I decided to open the window.

There's only one window in the entire classroom, and even then it's firmly shut because there's no grille installed. As a warning, there's a print-out sign pasted on it with the words "Do not open window". Over time, some students have cheekily scribbled on it. The "do not" has been cancelled out several times and an arrow and the word "please" scrawled above it. Now it reads "Please open the window".

However, the room was cold (our classrooms are cooled by a central system with a single thermostat). As such, I decided to open the window to let the cool air out and some warm air in.

It's funny because my first P6 class prefers a more tropical climate. The minute I lifted up the window, there was a contented sigh from some of them. Sometimes it's just too cold to think, and after spending many an exam in a freezing hall, I understood where they were coming from.

Once I opened the window, the room fell oddly silent. Everyone could work better and there was lesser fidgeting.

As the afternoon sun threw its rays across the desks, it felt almost peaceful somehow. One thing about open windows... you can actually witness the passage of time. It's no longer characterized by the face of a clock.

Later on, the P6s left. The P4s came in and some immediately ran to the window.

"It's open! It's open!" They cried. They seemed so excited that this most sacred of windows was finally open.

As the kids clustered about, I asked them to return to their seats.

"Guys, it's just a window. Come on, work time."

The evening proceeded on. After all the work was done, there was still some time before dismissal. Once again, they all gathered at the window and peered out. The view showed the open-air carpark below and some flats and trees in the distance.

One of the boys shouted and pointed.

"Eh! Lau pok qia!"

Everyone laughed.

I hovered about uncertainly. If anyone leaned too far out, I intended to haul the person back in.

"See! My house over there!"

"Where? Where?"

"There lah!"

I was surprised that they found so much wonder in what was essentially... just a window. Perhaps being in the classroom too long had robbed them of external stimulation. Whatever it was, they were enjoying the view.

After a while, the window was finally closed as they were getting too rowdy. A few minutes later, the students left and the classroom was quiet again.

I looked at the closed window once more and thought for a minute.

I think I'll open the window again next week.

2 comments:

aiyun said...

you know, kids in school love air con and you are right once the window is open, you feel time.


haha. and my kids love to look out of the window too. so much so that i will ask them "you want me to throw you down?" or i will ask them "is it you want to be a construction worker thats why you wan to look at how they work first?"

i can be rather mean. hahs.

renee said...

yeah I threaten to give them a little push if they make too much noise too. hehe.