Sometimes it's difficult for people to understand.
I have a rather demanding family life, one that doesn't really leave me with much freedom. As such, whenever I am asked to go out, I sometimes have to turn people down.
People always assume I'm just trying to avoid the activity or being anti-social... but that's not true. There are two reasons for this.
First of all, my parents are very strict about my activities. Despite the fact that I'm an adult, they will wait up for me whenever I'm out and haven't come back home. They also insist I not go out too often so I have proper rest, sleep etc. They are being overprotective, yes, but what can I do? I've tried arguing and bargaining but it just brings disharmony to the home. As such, I give in.
Secondly, I have responsibilities. I have errands to run. Most of the time, my dad is out working and doesn't have the time to deal with all of this. As such, it falls down to my mum and me. And if I don't help my mum (who has a tendency to freak out a lot), who will?
Thus, I don't have the opportunity to meet up with friends very often or do my own thing. Whenever I reject invitations, I sometimes receive cynical reactions. This makes me feel dejected, frustrated and guilty.
Dejected because I want to join in the fun but can't.
Frustrated because I am being misjudged.
Guilty because I hate disappointing people.
In view of all this, I hope people out there will try and be more understanding. I don't have much of a social life, and can only listen in envy as other people regale stories of late-night partying escapades or last-minute suppers with friends.
My current situation is as such, and I've taken a long time coming to terms with it. In fact, I think I still am.
6 comments:
It is good to let others know. since I was also skeptical of this in the past till I understood your situation
to all of you who assumed that Renee is avoiding sth, you guys shd try to spend more time understanding others rather than merely having fun
Patrick
i know leh since eleven years ago. Doncha worry ya~ *act bimbo* although yew not ard we still lub you bery muchi one.
muackz.
i know you lub us too ;p
Oh thanks guys... I was referring to some other people who still do not know about my situation. They can be so insensitive sometimes.
Lubs ya all.
Yah we understand long long time ago lol though we're all busy but we putus stick together yah? :)
hey renee... i totally understand. just ignore those people... time is not on our side most of the time. but what matters is the quality of time we had everytime we go out. miss u and take care =)
hey hey! those that understand, will or eventually will. those that choose not too, just leave them be..
Post a Comment