Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sometimes I am glad men rule the world.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am a feminist at heart. Perhaps not of the rampant bra-burning variety, but something more subtle. I bristle at the outrage of women suffering at the hands of men in some countries, as well as the unfairness with which some women are treated. We're more than just sex symbols or baby factories, I'm sure of that.

But on occasion, I can't help but dislike my own gender.

Such as an incident which happened once in the past.

I was out with 2 classmates. I wouldn't call them friends, cos I was only with them to do project work.

One of them had just purchased a new dress and was wearing it. I had taken a good look at it, and thought it was quite beautiful. She looked good in it. It enhanced her figure very nicely.

"You look great. It really suits you."

She turned to me and said in a rather off-handish manner.

"Really? Oh you're just trying to make me feel better. Haha..."

Just at that moment, the other person arrived.

"Hey babe, nice dress! Wow."

"Really? You think so? Thanks so much! I think it looks great too!'

At this point I am totally = ='

What is wrong with her? I was giving her a compliment. Does my opinion mean nothing? Geesh. It wasn't as if I was saying she looked horrible. The least she could do was take it gracefully.

I pondered over this for a moment as the two of them tittered on like long-lost soul mates. I'd decided that the reason was simple. The second girl was better-dressed than me, on top of the fact that she was more prominent or popular in class. As a result, her opinions mattered more than mine.

End of story.

Why do some women participate in such childish games? They're always using various means of social manipulation to get ahead of others or soothe their own egos, and this sickens me to the core. They're always trying to align themselves with the more popular people, or spending the remaining time after that to beat down others.

Now, much later, whenever I witness such antics at school or at work ( it does indeed happen from time to time, no kidding ), I get the same feeling again.

Revulsion.

I hate it and despise this! Surely their energies could be used in a more productive manner. At least men tend to do battle through work rather than socially. It's a much more elegant means of competition. That's not to say that men don't backstab. But, they usually don't go all out to seek a person and destroy him socially.

For some women, this is their ultimate weapon. Hence, the poor lone female is ostracized, and left to fend for herself in a social vacuum.

Strange enough to say, I have been both a victim and a perpretrator. The former was because I had a jealous rival, and the latter because it was a matter of social survival. It was either I participated, or risk being ostracized along with the intended victim.

Quite a tough decision, wouldn't you think? Even so, I now feel nothing but regret for playing along. It was dishonourable, even though I wasn't the one leading the ostracizing.

Imagine if it was a female world leader we were talking about. Would she neglect a certain state in her country simply because she had a bone to pick with the local governor. No, if she is one level-headed lady.

But from what I usually see, that sort of female is one in a hundred thousand. There, but still a minority.

And i'm not the only one who thinks so. As a prominent American female politician once commented about women ruling the world.

"It'll just be like high school all over again."

No comments: